If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (256) 534-1177

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Holiday Fire Safety

12/14/2020 (Permalink)

Any time of year presents the possibilities for a house fire to start, but in the winter it is wise to be extra vigilant about fire safety precautions. According to the Red Cross, most house fires occur in the winter season.  

An increase in baking and cooking, as well as the use of heating units and holiday decorations, can all present fire safety issues. While these things should still be enjoyed, it is important to do so with fire safety in mind to avoid making a house fire part of your holiday memories.

Safety Tips to Keep in Mind

Keep safe when cooking. Cooking is consistently the catalyst for the highest number of house fires during any part of the year, and winter is no different. Winter often brings about large holiday meals and extra baking activities, giving fires more of an opportunity to begin. Avoid keeping flammable objects near the stove and always be sure you have a fire extinguisher handy in case there are any incidents that occur.

Take precautions when heating your house. If you have a fireplace or a space heater, using it to keep warm is likely a daily occurrence—but it should be done with caution. Space heaters have become much safer to use in recent years, so be sure that yours has features such as an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating or tipping. Fireplaces should be inspected yearly for issues, and never left burning unattended or overnight.

Decorate with care. Decorating for the winter holidays is a fun activity, but with the introduction of new electrical wiring brings new concerns. Around 25% of Christmas tree fires start due to wiring, which can be prevented with proper precautions. Never use wiring that is frayed and avoid leaving lights plugged in if you are away or going to sleep. It is also wise to not plug too many things into a single outlet or power strip, as this can lead to sparks.

If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. 

Call SERVPRO of North Huntsville at (256) 534-1177.

Other News

View Recent Posts