Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes
Now that the holidays have passed, the coldest days of winter are coming. One of the most frustrating parts of home ownership is frozen pipes. Here are some tips to keep that from happening:
- If there are water supply lines in the garage, keep the doors closed.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the pipes, especially if they're on exterior walls.
- Let the cold water trickle from your faucets. Running water helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during day and night. It may feel like a good idea to save some money by turning down the heat, but it is not worth it if you end up with busted pipes.
- If you plan to be away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55°. Again, now is not the time to try to save a few pennies.
Sometimes we do everything we can and pipes still freeze and burst. If that happens, call SERVPRO of North Huntsville and we'll help make it "Like it never even happened."